Clear Creek Amana chose Reading Wonders to be the foundational program upon which our district literacy work will build. This decision was based on a review process that engaged all elementary teachers in the review of then-current practice and options for published programs. A published program was chosen to help the district:
- Address gaps in foundational reading skill development at the elementary level
- Bring consistency of literacy curriculum and instruction to all three elementary sites
- Provide a literacy curriculum framework aligned with the Iowa Core Literacy Standards
- Provide a basic structure for common assessments at each grade
- Provide a basic structure for the district's work with Response to Intervention (RTI)
- Align supplemental supports and materials with core classroom instruction (At-Risk, Title I, Special Education)
Our goals for the 2013-2014 school year are to:
- Establish the scope and sequence in all three elementary buildings.
- Begin work with common assessments (aligned with district's work with professional learning communities).
- Asses the assessment package and recommend adjustments moving forward.
- Begin developing a multi-tiered system of supports to help address the learning needs of all students.
Wonders Reference Materials for Teachers