Clear Creek Amana Volunteer Guidelines
So you want to be a volunteer in your child’s school…
- If you hope to visit your child’s classroom, attend field trips or work in any capacity with a group of students, there is a state requirement and guidelines to ensure the safety of our students
- Volunteering gives you the opportunity to get to know the teachers and the staff and support your child’s learning goals
What does volunteering look like?
- Read stories to children and listen to them read.
- Share your unique talents and crafts in the classroom.
- Help in the classrooms, in the library, during fundraising activities, on field trips….the list is endless!
- If having lunch with your child is your goal, no volunteer training needed.
What are volunteer characteristics?
- An honest approach and attitude.
- Patience and flexibility.
- Friendly and outgoing with staff and students.
- Appreciate the strengths of each student.
- Be discreet, sincere and dedicated.
- Recognize and contribute to the improvement of students’ self esteem and independent learning habits.
- Accepts direction from teacher.
What are volunteer guidelines?
- Make sure the time to volunteer time is agreed upon with the classroom teacher. Out of respect to the teacher and instructional time, unannounced visits can’t be permitted.
- Volunteers are required to sign in/out at the office and wear a visitor tag.
- Student expectations remain the same when visiting a classroom.
- To help minimize distractions, siblings will not be permitted to join you (exceptions can be made for parties only).
- We ask that volunteers use the time to be of assistance to the class or teacher. In the event there is a need discuss issues with the classroom teacher, a different time to conference can be arranged.
What are a volunteer’s responsibilities?
- Arrive on time- please call the office if you are not able to help or to reschedule your time.
- You will work under the direction and supervision of building staff.
- CONFIDENTIALITY IS A MUST! - anything you see or hear concerning a student or staff member should not be shared with anyone else, ask yourself, would I want someone talking about my child or myself in that way?
- If you do have concerns with anything you see or hear from a student or a staff member, please contact the building principal.
- Model caring, patience, perseverance, respect cooperation and tolerance- children learn from what they experience.
- Your volunteer materials are good for 5 years, after 5 years, you will need to fill out the paperwork again
Do you want to be a volunteer?
- If you volunteer at your child’s school, you need to go to any school building office to fill out a background check and confidentiality guideline form, you need to physically go to a building to fill these out, they are not available online or electronically.
- The background check will be run by our central office, checks can take up to 2 weeks time.
- Please call any building to confirm that your background check has cleared; approximately 2 weeks after completion of the forms.
- Background checks are at a cost of $25 to the district. If you are willing to help offset this cost by paying some or all of the fee it would be appreciated. This will not be a factor in determining volunteer eligibility.
On behalf of CCA schools, thank you for your interest in volunteering. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Brenda Parker at North Bend (319.626.3950) or email at email@example.com